Chelsea was known for its figures. From about 1760 its inspiration was drawn more from Sèvres porcelain than Meissen.
In 1769 the manufactory was purchased by William Duesbury, owner of the Derby porcelain factory, and the wares are indistinguishable during the “Chelsea-Derby period” that lasted until 1784, when the Chelsea factory was demolished and its moulds, patterns and many of its workmen and artists transferred to Derby. The factory history can be divided into four main periods, named for the identifying marks under the wares: we have a rare Chelsea Toby Jug”. Signed with the gold anchor on the base, in good condition and measure 3 inches tall and 1.75 inches diameter.