Gibson & Sons Late Sevres Davenport Black & Gold Teapot
or Sign In to see what it's worth.
Click here to upgrade your account
Sold Date: 10/13/2008
Channel: Online Auction
Description: This elegant teapot in black and opulent gold is marked GIBSON & SONS LATE SEVRES DAVENPORT. Very good condition. No chips or cracks or crazing. The teapotis 5 inches tall and 9 inches wide and 6 1/2 inches deep. Rounded earthenware body on a footring, large 's' shaped spout with a flat top, four hole strainer, loop handle with thumbrest, round cover with vent and deep flange, flattened knob with pip; decorated with a black glaze with gilt spout and handle, gilt central band with pattern of chain loops with stylized flowers in the centre of each loop on a stippled background.
factory : Gibson and Sons (Ltd.)
& & Stoke-on-Trent & Staffordshire & England
1850 (c) = 1940 (c)
GGibson & Sons (Ltd)Burslem 1885 c. 1975 Earthenware manufacturer - producers of dinner and tea wares, they were particularly known for teapot manufacture. c.1907-1910 they manufactured the 'Largest Teapot in the world'. This held 1024 cups of tea. Previously: Gibson & Sudlow Gibson & Sons became a limited company in 1905 and then traded as Gibson & Sons Ltd. Pottery Works occupied by Gibson & Sons:
Gibson & Sons occupied a number of works (some of them concurrently):- In 1885 they occupied the Harvey Pottery, Lingard Street, Burslem, which they occupied 1885 - 1957.
At the same time (1885) they occupied the Albany Pottery, Moorland Road, Burslem until 1965.
For a short period (c.1925 - 1930) they also used the Chelsea Works , Moorland Road, Burslem and then Susie Copper took these works.
In 1965 the Albany Pottery were too large for them and the business was moved to Howard Pottery, Norfolk Street, Shelton (with Royal Winton).
Ownership of Sudlow & Sons:
Trade names included:Silvoe Art Ware; Windsor Art Ware; Royal Harvey Initials used on ware for identification: G & S LTD
B G & S LTD Description The company was founded in 1875 by Sydney Gibson and was run as a family concern. They exhibited at the following exhibitions: 1893 International Exhibition in Chicago. 1911 Crystal Palace Festival of Empire and Imperial Exhibition. 1911 International Exhibition of Turin. 1913 Ghent International Exhibition - won Diploma of Honour and special backstamp created. 1915 Panama-Pacific International Exposition, San Francisco.In the 1890s they are reported as making two handled tea urns with floral decoration.Sydney Gibson was elected Mayor of Burslem in 1906.Before the second World War Gibson & Sons were producers of dinner and tea wares. They operated from several locations in Burslem as noted above. A range of backstamps are illustrated in Godden's Encyclopaedia of British Pottery and Porcelain Marks, some of which incorporate the names of these potteries: HP Co. (Harvey Pottery); Albany and Harvey. Trade marks used by the company included Silvoe Art Ware; Windsor Art Ware; Royal Harvey (dinner and tea wares). Commemorative wares were produced including an art deco shaped teapot for the Silver Jubilee of King George V and Queen Mary in 1935.When industry concentration was imposed during the second World War, Gibsons limited their production exclusively to teapots which had always been their speciality product. Although the range of products manufactured was extended again in the postwar period, the company decided in 1954 to once again focus on teapot production only. Export to America was also seen as a priority with the introduction of teapot sets - teapot, hot water jug, sugar basin and cream jug. Teapots were manufactured in both red and white clay. The export labels read:This is a genuine English GIBSON teapot
The Chinese started drinking tea,
Back in a distant century,
The English started to make the Pot,
To serve this beverage pip...
Items in the Worthopedia are obtained exclusively from licensors and partners solely for our members’ research needs.
View Similar Items