LOT OF 2 SANTA MONICA CANYON PHOTOS, 1890’S & 1921Description : These two photos are from the collection of Ken Strickfaden of Santa Monica, who accumulated glass negative and film photos of old Santa Monica. Seller acquired these photos from Mr. Strickfaden 4 decades ago. Both photos measure 5-inches high by 8-inches wide. The top photo may be a photo from a glass negative as it is a view of the mouth of Santa Monica Canyon with the Long Wharf in left-center of the photo sometimes in the 1890’s.T is minimum development evident in the canyon at that time. The railroad track goes over a bridge as seen in the lower left quadrant. The road going up the hill in center of picture is the forerunner of the Chataqua route today. The bottom photo is a a 1921 photo of the mouth of Santa Monica Canyon . Signage readable in this photo reading left from the large white building at left of center, “The Golden Butterfly”. The small sign near the bottom-left of center reads : “Red Crown” over a red star. Signs on the small building with an awning or sloping roof over the front reads: “Grocery” and “Cash Gro_ _ _” and “Groceries”. The next buiding has signs reading “Ballentynes World Famous Hot Dogs Hamburgers” – “Sandwiches Ice Cream Cold Drinks” – “Hamberger Hot Dogs”. The next building has signs reading: “Canyon (vertical- “Drugs” – Pharmaacy” – “Soda Drugs” – and on the fringe, “Fishing Tackle” “Pittenger and Law” – and on side of building, “Canyon Pharmacy” – “Crescent Ice Cream”. The white building in the right corner has sign reading, “Lunch Room”. This photo has two flaws: t is a small piece of the picture missing (3/4-inch at the outer edge) at the left-center edge; and the lower left corner is missing (1/4-inch high by ¾-inch wide). Otherwise, the photo is in very good condition. The shipping charge for this lot includes an estimate for insurance to be paid by the seller.
Items in the Worthopedia are obtained exclusively from licensors and partners solely for our members’ research needs.