(Lottie Moon)China Baptist Missionary ALS,Shantung,1917

  • Sold for: Start Free Trial or Sign In to see what it's worth.
  • Item Category: Books, Paper & Magazines
  • Source: eBay
  • Sold Date: Nov 17, 2006
  • Channel: Auction House
A touching 2 page 4to autograph letter signed, a letter of condolence on the death of her sister's children, dateline Laiyang (Shantung), June 2, 1917, of Elizabeth Hearn, daughter of Dr.T.O. Hearn, Baptist missionary-doctor who treated American missionary Lizzie Moon in the final stages of her illness. Moon buried herself in China's misfortunes, trying to help and no longer taking care of her needs. Her small cash reserves were gone. She gave and gave, not counting the cost to herself. She almost stopped eating. If others could not have food, neither would she. Her strength failed. Alarmed, young colleagues sent for medical help. Missionary nurse Jessie Pettigrew came from Hwanghsien, discovered and treated a large carbuncle at the base of Lottie's ear and took her home with her. Lottie dozed by day, tore her hair and refused to eat. Missionary doctors tried to help. Dr. Gaston, early in December, gave his diagnosis: She was starving herself to death. The doctors decided her only hope for survival was a voyage to America. As Dr. Hearn packed her in pillows for the long day's shentze ride to the coast, she sat up. "Just lay down, dear Miss Moon," he implored. The old, precise, literary Lottie Moon erupted. "I will not lay down, sir," she corrected. "I will lie down." Cynthia Miller, missionary nurse, went with Lottie, whose slight, self-starved body was said to weigh only about 50 pounds. Miller arranged to sleep in Lottie's ship cabin to care for her. Hearn brought aboard a supply of Lottie's favorite grape juice and other food. He doubted she would survive the trip, but felt it her only hope. Lottie dozed most of the time or was otherwise unconscious. After a few days she roused, took some juice and spoke weakly but rationally about spiritual things. She whispered the words of the song with her companion, "Jesus Loves Me," and asked the nurse to pray for her. Next morning Lottie no longer spoke, but pointed upward when her nurse neared, indicating the source of her life. The ship docked in Kobe, Japan, one of Lottie's favorite places, to take on coal. On Christmas Eve 1912 she opened her eyes, smiled and looked around. With her last remaining strength, she raised her fists together--the fond Chinese greeting. She must have been greeting her Lord, for in that moment her spirit went out to meet Him. Her remains were cremated, by Japanese law. Nurse Miller delivered the urn of ashes to a board representative. Her life was never the same for having been with Lottie Moon. The same can be said of thousands of others--in America and in China. The Christmas offering, launched at her suggestion, was named for her in 1918. Letter is in very good condition, but had been folded irregularly. Signed as "Lizzie", original envelope addressed in her hand, with printed heading of "T.O. Hearn, American Southern Baptist Mission, Laiyang, Shantung, China", included. Winning US bidder pays $3.00 S&H, foreign bidder slightly more. Payment must be made within one week or I reserve the right to relist.