Michigan Mackinac Old Mackinac Point Lighthous used Hat Lapel Pin Tie Tac HP2850

  • Sold for: Start Free Trial or Sign In to see what it's worth.
  • Item Category: Advertising
  • Source: eBay
  • Sold Date: Jul 13, 2016
  • Channel: Auction House

Michigan, Mackinac - Old Mackinac Point Lighthouse

This is an used item in great condition measuring approx. 2.8 cm high by cm wide with a post/military clutch/ butterfly clutch style back.

Mackinaw Point marks the junction of Lake Michigan and Lake Huron. Founded in 1889, the Old Mackinac Point Light Station was in operation from 1890 until 1957.

Even before the advent of European explorers, the Straits of Mackinac were a significant hazard to water borne travelers. Consequently, before lighthouses, the Ojibwa lit the shore with fires.

In the early 19th century, with large vessel traffic increasing from Lake Huron into the Straits, the first step in guarding the Straits was taken in 1829, through the construction of Bois Blanc Lighthouse to both guide mariners in making the westerly turn into the Straits, and to warn them of the shoals and shallows surrounding the island.

Three years later in 1832, Congress acted on Stephen Pleasonton's recommendation that a lightship be placed on Waugoshance Shoal as the first attempt to mark the western entrance to the Straits. In 1838, Lieutenant James T. Homans reported that the lightship was wholly inadequate. He recommended a better solution for Waugoshance and also that a light be built on the point to the west of Mackinaw Harbor. Nothing came of Homans'
... read more