Vintage Silverplated Pickle Castor 1900 ~ 1928
Offered for auction is a Vintage Pickle Castor Set ~ Quad Silverplate from the E. G. Webster & Bros. Company. Elizur G. Webster (1829-1900) bought Henry Websters (formerly Jabez Gorham) store and with his brother, A. A. Webster, started a small manufacturing business in Brooklyn in the early 1860's under the name of Webster Mfg. Co. In 1873 the firm name became E. G. Webster and Brothers. And with the retirement of his brother in 1886 he took in his son, Fred H. Webster under the name E. G. Webster & Son. After his fathers death, Fred H Webster continued the business until it was sold to the International Silver Company in 1928 and moved from Brooklyn to Meriden Conn.
Pickle Castors were very popular during the Victorian Era. Inserts are found in pattern glass and colored art glass. The set consists of silverplated frame, glass insert and tongs. It is very ornate with flowers, leaves and feathers with the ends of the tongs resembling Bird feet and the tongs are further accented with floral medallionson each side. T is a flower head missing from the top pediment and side accent and dent to frame base. The insert is panelled glass with 12 sides, it has an etched pattern that represents a grapevine with leaves and clusters of grapes ~ t is not a top with this insert. The glass is clear and elegant with no... read more