1. Armenia City In the Sky [Incl. Two "Radio London" Jingles]
2. Heinz Baked Beans [Incl. "More Music" Jingle]
3. Mary Anne With the Shaky Hand Acoustic/Incl. Premier Drums Commercial/Radio London Jingle
4. Odorono [Incl. Radio London "Smooth Sailing" Jingle]
5. Tattoo [Incl. "Church of Your Choice" Radio London Jingle]
6. Our Love Was [Incl. Pussycat/Speakeasy/Rotosound Jingles, Commercials]
7. I Can See For Miles
8. I Can't Reach You [Incl. Charles Atlas Commercial]
9. Medac a.k.a. Spotted Henry
11. Silas Stingy
13. Real (1 & 2)
14. Rael - Naive [Incl. John Mason's Cars (Rehearsal) Commercial]
15. Someone'S Coming [Incl. Radio London "Weather Word" Jingle]
16. Early Morning Cold Taxi [Incl. Radio London News Bulletin Jingle]
17. Jaguar [Incl. Extra Wonderful Radio London Jingle]
18. Coke After Coke
19. Glittering Girl
20. Summertime Blues
21. John Mason Cars
22. Girl's Eyes [Incl. Bag O'Nails Jingle]
23. Sodding About
24. Premier Drums [Full Version ]
25. Odorono Final Chorus
26. Mary Anne With the Shaky Hand [Mirasound Version]
27. Things Go Better With Coke
28. In the Hall of the Mountain King
29. Top Gear
30. Rael (1 & 2) [Remake Version - Incl. Track Records Jingle]
1. Armenia City In the Sky
2. Heinz Baked Beans
3. Mary Anne With the Shaky Hand [Mono Version]
4. Odorono [Original Version]
6. Our Love Was
7. I Can See For Miles
8. I Can't Reach You
9. Medac a.k.a. Spotted Henry (Mono)
10. Relax (Mono)
11. Silas Stingy (Mono)
12. Sunrise (Mono)
13. Rael (1 & 2) [Incl. Track Records Run-Off Groove]
14. Mary Anne With the Shaky Hand [U.S Single Version Originally Released As Us B-Side To "I Can See For Miles"]
15. Someone's Coming [U.K Single Mix - Originally Released As Us B-Side To "I Can See For Miles"]
16. Relax [Early Rehearsal]
17. Jaguar [Original Mono Mix]
18. Glittering Girl
19. Tattoo Early [Mono Mix]
20. Our Love Was [Take 12 Rejected Mono Mix]
21. Rotosound Strings With Final Note
22. I Can See For Miles [Early Mono Mix]
23. Rael Early [Mono Mix]
24. Armenia City In the Sky [Isolated Backwards Tracks]
25. Great Shakes [Unreleased Us Radio Commercial] This 1995 reissue of THE WHO SELL OUT includes songs and jingles not available on the original version.
The Who: Pete Townshend (vocals, guitar, piano); John Entwistle (vocals, bass); Roger Daltrey (vocals); Keith Moon (drums).
Additional personnel: Al Kooper (organ).
Producer: Kit Lambert.
Reissue producer: Jon Astley.
Recorded in 1967 & 1968.
Originally released on Track (612002/613002). Released in the U.S. on Decca (4950/74950) in 1968.
Includes liner notes by Dave Marsh.
One of the Who's classics, THE WHO SELL-OUT found the band following the Beatles' lead into concept territory while slyly commenting on the new direction as overtly commercial via its title, its cover art, and the inclusion of many fake advertisements between its tracks. Ironically, the group were involved with real advertisements--some of which are included in this box--at the time of the SELL-OUT sessions. The album has held up over the years--certainly meriting mention with other behemoths of British concept psych like SGT. PEPPER'S, DISRAELI GEARS, and THE PIPER AT THE GATES OF DAWN. The record consistently finds footing in the upper reaches of critical all-time best lists.
Geffen reissued the album in 2009 as 55-song box set featuring the complete sequenced album in stereo and mono mixes and two discs worth of album-related odds and sods--many of them previously unreleased. "Odorono" appears with its final chorus intact as do an excellent take on Eddie Cochrane's "Summertime Blues" and many versions of "Rael," Pete Townshend's first stab at full-blown rock opera. The set also features a 28-page booklet with li...