SS HENRY STEINBRENNER Sink Lake Superior 1953 Newspaper

  • Sold for: Start Free Trial or Sign In to see what it's worth.
  • Item Category: Fraternal, Political, Organizations
  • Source: eBay
  • Sold Date: Aug 17, 2010
  • Channel: Auction House
SS HENRY STEINBRENNER Sink Lake Superior 1953 Newspaper is a complete, genuine historic old newspaper with the following title, date and description: THE DETROIT NEWS, Michigan, May 11, 1953 * SS Henry Steinbrenner sinks * Sault Ste. Marie MI Michigan * Lake Superior This 44 page newspaper has a two line banner headline on the front page: * SHIP SINKS IN SUPERIOR, 31 ADRIFT IN LIFEBOATS with subhead. (see) Tells of the sinking of the SS Henry Steinbrenner on Lake Superior near Sault Ste. Marie, Michigan. Great headline for display. Other news of the day throughout. Minor margin wear, otherwise in good condition. wikipedia notes: Lakes freighter SS Henry Steinbrenner was a 427 feet (130 m) long, 50 feet (15 m) wide, and 28 feet (8.5 m) deep(4}, dry bulk freighter of typical construction style for the early 1900s primary designed for the iron ore, coal, and grain trades on the Great Lakes. Commissioned by the Kinsman Transit Co. of Cleveland, Ohio she was launched as hull number 14 by Jenks Ship Building Co. of Port Huron, Michigan. Her design featured a forward forecastle containing crew cabins topped with an additional cabin and pilot house. The mid section was a long nearly flat deck over the cargo holds only interrupted by 12 hatches fitted with telescoping type hatch covers. The aft end featured a large cabin situated over the engine room containing the galley, mess rooms, and crew quarters and was topped with a smoke stack and air vents. The Steinbrenner later featured a "doghouse" cabin aft of her smoke stack to house added crew from a change in the crew watch system on the Great Lakes. At 5:11 AM on May 10 1953, the 52 year old ship left Superior, Wisconsin, with nearly 7000 tons of iron ore for the steels mills on Lake Erie. Weather conditions were good at the time but forecasts called for rougher weather later in the day. Leaving despite unfavorable forecasts wasn't rare for captains of this time. Weather reports were less accurate than modern forecasts and most captains and crews had endured several storms during their careers. Later that afternoon the Steinbrenner met with the forecast gale as strong winds and large waves buffeted the vessel. Although he secured his ship's deck, Captain Albert Stiglin did not have his crew place tarpaulins on the twelve leaf-type "Telescoping" hatch covers; since these were not watertight, they allowed some water to seep into the cargo holds. Around 8 pm one of the leaves on the number 11 hatch worked loose and allowed water to pour into the hold. Crew members were dispatched to secure the cover but, as the storm intensified, 80 mph winds and large waves worked the leaf loose again. Complicating the issue, doors and vents were being forced open by the storm. Conditions were now too treacherous to send crews out on deck. Pumps were started but the flooding continued. Captain Stiglin tried to keep the waves from causing more damage but by morning other hatch covers had worked loose and the ship staggered to make headway. After a few more maneuvers it became all too apparent that the ship was doomed. Shortly after 7:00 AM on May 11 1953, an SOS was broadcast. At 7:35 AM, an abandon ship signal was blown on the whistle and the crew mustered at the forward life raft, and the aft lifeboats. As the ship settled in the water, confusion took hold and several men ended up in the water or were injured. The vessel sank quickly fifteen miles south of Isle Royale Light. Alerted by the SOS, the steamers Wilfred Sykes, Joseph H. Thompson (then the largest ship on the lakes), D.M. Clemson, D.G. Kerr, William E. Corey, and the Canadian ship Hochelaga, conducted a search for survivors. The Joseph H. Thompson found the life raft and 6 men taking refuge in it. The D.M. Clemson, under the command of Captain Arthur M. Everett, found one life boat. In heavy winds and rough seas, Captain Everett carefully maneuvered the Clemson to put the lifeboat in the ship's lee and then had the survivors lifted aboard with ropes. The men were then taken to the Captain's quarters w they were gi...