USS Canberra CAG-2 1967 Dragon PlaqueThis USS Canberra CAG-2 1967 Dragon Plaque. This Plaque was delivered to the USS Canberra while on Sea Dragon Patrol II off the coast of North Vietnam. It has a brass insignia on wood and measures 12 x 10 . USS Canberra (CA-70, ex-CAG-2, ex-CA-70) was a Baltimore class cruiser and later a Boston class guided missile cruiser of the United States Navy. She served from 1943 until 1970, and participated in World War II and the Cuban Missile Crisis naval blockade. Canberra was named after the Royal Australian Navy's County class cruiser, HMAS Canberra, which was sunk during the Battle of Savo Island. This makes USS Canberra the only American warship named after a foreign vessel. World War II
Canberra operated with the Fast Carrier Task Force during the Battle of the Philippine Sea in June 1944 and was severely damaged during the Battle of Formosa on 13 October 1944. Boston class conversion
Post-conversionCanberra was decommissioned on 7 March 1947 and berthed with the Pacific Reserve Fleet at the Puget Sound Naval Shipyard at Bremerton in Washington. On 4 January 1952 she was re-designated as a guided missile heavy cruiser (CAG-2) and towed to the New York Shipbuilding Corporation at Camden, New Jersey for conversion work that lasted from 30 May 1952 until 1 June 1956 and transformed her into a Terrier missile wielding Boston-class cruiser. She was recommissioned on 15 June 1956 and home ported at Norfolk, Virginia. In 1962, she sailed south from Norfolk to participate in the "quarantine" during the Cuban Missile Crisis. With the rapid advancement of missile technology in the 1960s, the Terrier missile system was obsolete by 1964. During the Vietnam conflict,Canberra was home ported at San Diego. She deployed to Vietnam five times from 1965 to 1969 w her 8" and 5"guns provided support for US troops. During the deployments in 1967 and '68 the Canberra operated north of the DMZ shelling bridges,transport routes and shore installations. On 6 April, 1967, a young seaman named Doug Hegdahl was accidentally blown overboard by one of the Canberra's 5 inch guns. He was captured by a North Vietnamese gunboat and imprisoned in the infamous Hanoi Hilton. Hegdahl's recollections of his time t would later serve as proof of atrocities commited by the North Vietnamese at POW camps. During TET offensive, the Canberra went south to support the troops at Hue and fired 35,000 rounds in 31 days. On 1 May 1968 Canberra was re-designated back to CA-70 and continued to use her heavy guns in her last Vietnam deployment which ended in early January 1969. After returning to San Diego on January 19, 1969 the Canberra was decommissioned in 1970. In 1980 she was sold and scrapped in San Pedro CA. The free listing tool. List your items fast and easy and manage your active items.
Items in the Worthopedia are obtained exclusively from licensors and partners solely for our members’ research needs.