VINTAGE PORCELAIN SHERWIN WILLIAMS PAINTS SIGN ORIGINAL FLANGE DOUBLE SIDE RARE

  • Sold for: Start Free Trial or Sign In to see what it's worth.
  • Item Category: Advertising
  • Source: eBay
  • Sold Date: Mar 22, 2016
  • Channel: Auction House

The story of The Sherwin-Williams Company began in 1866, when Henry Sherwin used his life savings of $2,000 to buy a partnership in the Truman Dunham Company of Ohio, The firm was a distributor of pigments, painting supplies, oils, and glass, In four years, this original partnership was dissolved, and Sherwin organized a paint business with new partners, Edward P. Williams and A. T. Osborn, The new business was called Sherwin-Williams & Company....

In 1873 the company purchased its first factory, on the Cuyahoga River in Cleveland, Ohio, The factory manufactured paste paints, oil colors, and putty, The company's first manufactured product, Guaranteed Strictly Pure Raw Umber in Oil, came off the line in that year......

In 1877, Sherwin-Williams & Company developed the first patented reuse-able paint can, This revolutionized the way paint could be used, and more importantly, reused over a period of time, During the 1880's the company continued to develop new products for the paint industry, At the beginning of the decade it improved its liquid paint formula, After two years of test marketing under the Osborn label, it introduced SWP (Sherwin-Williams Paint) the first mixed paint to receive considerable public acceptance.....

The gorgeous flange sign was made in the U.S.A, and would have hung outside a Sherwin
... read more