Vintage Silverplate Coffee Urn Meriden B Company
or Sign In to see what it's worth.
Click here to upgrade your account
Sold Date: 11/05/2006
Channel: Online Auction
Vintage Silverplate Coffee Urn Meriden B Company Vintage Silverplate Coffee Urn Meriden B Company This silverplate Meriden B Company Coffee Urn was made for the Davenport Family and is engraved under the spout with the letter "D". The urn is approximately 12 inches tall and has a 6 ½ inch diameter. The diameter of the top is 6 inches with a 3 3/4 inch opening. The marks on the bottom of the urn show the symbol of the Meriden B Company, a balance scale encircled by the company's name. Below the symbol are engraved Pat D June 13, 1868 and Pat D Nov.30, 1868 and the number "27". The exact age of this piece can not be determined but the previous owner who is in her late 70's said it belonged to her parents, the Davonports. Tfore I would venture a guess that it is approximately 90-100 years old. T is a considerable amount of tarnish and has not been polished thoroughly in at least 50 years. The cover is hinged and fits snugly into the urn's opening.. T are 1/4 inch long extensions on either side of the pot that allowed the urn to be suspended in a holder for easy pouring. T is an indentation on one side of the pot by one of these extensions. The intricate engravings on the exterior of the urn are outstanding. Leaves, shafts of wheat, ivy leaves and flowers are prominently displayed on the sides on the urn. Under the spout can be found a hunter with a gun, a soldier with a pick axe, a bear, a man in a boat harpooning a walrus and a scallop shell supporting the spout. Finely crafted stylized flowers and leaves encircle the top and bottom of the urn. The inside of the urn seems to be made of porcelain which appears to be in good condition. The pot holds water and does not leak.
The Meriden Britannia Company was formed in 1852 in Meriden, Connecticut. The Rogers Bros firm was purchased by Meriden Britannia in 1862, tby acquiring the 1847 Rogers Bros line. In 1878, they had a store at Union Square in New York City and a manufacturing facility in West Meriden, CT. According to their 1878 catalogue, the company won a first place medal at the 1876 Centennial Exhibition in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania for the "large variety of silver plated white metal hollow ware, of excellent quality and finish, and of tasteful designs." They were one of the original companies that joined together to form the International Silver Co. in 1898.
Items in the Worthopedia are obtained exclusively from licensors and partners solely for our members’ research needs.
View Similar Items