A spectacular piece of transfer-printed Queensware (creamware) thisWedgwood bowl was specially made for Bailey, Banks and Biddle, theaugust Philadelphia jewelry store.This bowl, called the Philadelphia Bowl, is in the form of a Chinese export punch bowl, a shape Wedgwood copied in the 18th century. it is quite thinly potted. The transfer decoration was designed by Alan Price of the Wedgwood Design Studios, based on prints from the collection of the Pennsylvania Historical Society. T are four scenes of Philadelphia in the late 18th century on the exterior of the bowl: Christ Church. the Merchant's Exchange, The State House (Independence Hall) as seen from the west, and Lemon Hill. In between these scenes are examples of the trees Philadelphia's east-west streets are named after: Chestnut, Walnut, Mulberry (now Arch), and Locust. The interior of the bowl is decorated with a scene of the signing of the Articles of Confederation. The interior rim of the bowl has a complex border of flags, including the city and colony flags, and the original flag of the united colonies. T are also four portraits of soldiers in uniform. The the top of the rim is the inscription, Proclaim liberty throughout the land unto all the inhabitants t of." This motto appears in the Liberty Bell. It is taken from Leviticus 25:10. The bowl was introduced in 1959 by BB&B and made in limited quantities for them for a few years. The City of Philadelphia still uses this bowl as a presentation piece to people who have made a major contribution to the city. Recently, it was presented (on an inscribed stand) to Dr Judith Roden, the former president of the University of Pennsylvania. The bowl is 9.5" in diameter and 3.75" tall. It is the smaller of two sizes offered.