Lt. Reichard’s WWII Diary – February 4, 1943

Lt. Reichard’s WWII Diary Project and Recap: On January 1, 2009, WorthPoint began a three year project following the life of a WWII soldier through the daily pages of his diary. To read about the inception of this project, or to add your own comments, click here.

Recap: We first met Lt. Reichard in January, stationed at McClellan Air Base in Sacramento, where he was in charge of a motor pool unit.  Expecting to be sent overseas, their orders were changed and they became restless to see action.  Lt. Reichard’s sweetheart, Ginny, would write frequently, and he would go to dinner and movies with local girls – Dorothy, in Sacramento, and Marie, when the unit moved to Gowen Field in Boise, Idaho.  The men have spent their days in lectures, and physical demonstrations to try to keep sharp mentally and physically.    But they are getting increasingly restless.

[voxant 3623653]

February 4, 1943 Diary Page

February 4, 1943 Diary Page

Transcript of diary entry   February 4, 1943

Thursday,  February 4, 1943

Gowen Fieid, Boise, Idaho

This morning I woke up at seven and went to breakfast. We were to go on the range today but it was snowing like the devil. I called Ray and he said we might as well go out there so if it did clear by daylight we be there to take advantage of it. We got dressed and went out. It started to rain so after hanging around a while we decided to leave. First of all though I wanted to take the jeep up some of the hills so Ray, 2 sgts, and myself took off. It was a lot of fun and we pulled some rare stunts. After we nearly took a nose dive off a near cliff we decided to quit. There was no sense in coming back to camp so we decided to ___________ a convoy up into the mountains. We took Route 21 up the canyon for thirty miles and saw some gorgeous country. As soon as we got out of the valley and into the hills it was a lot colder and the higher we went the deeper was the snow. It was about two foot on the level where we turned around. I never in my life saw so many deer. They were everywhere. The canyon is formed by a river so they probably came down to it when it was a little warmer. I did not have my camera but think we will go up again Friday or Saturday and I’ll be sure to have it. We got back about two and had a couple lectures then called it quits for the day. I sent M/Sgt. Sanders to Sacremento where his wife is to have a baby. She is about five days overdue so hes worried. He left this morning on the bus.

On this day, American P-40s, like these three, strafed Japanese installations on the island of Kiska. (U.S. National Archives)

On this day, American P-40s, like these three, strafed Japanese installations on the island of Kiska. (U.S. National Archives)

Good Night

To view previous diary entries, click here.

The Day That Was: February 4, 1943

• American P-40s strafed Japanese installations on the island of Kiska. Five enemy bombers attacked American positions on Amchitka. (

• Harry James’ version of “I Had the Craziest Dream” reached No. 1 on the pop charts.

Production Credits:
Diary transcription: Kathleen Long

Diary photos: Claudia Forbes

Video production: Alison Harder

Narration: Mountain VIsta H.S. Theater Department

Jeremy Goldson, Department Chair; Sean McGill – voice of Lt. Reichard

(Visited 1 times, 1 visits today)