Lt. Reichard’s WWII Diary – January 25, 1943

Introduction by Will Seippel, CEO – Lt. Reichard began writing a diary on January 1, 1943. In February, he bought a camera and began taking some photos. For the next three years, he wrote almost every day. When I started reading his diary, I thought it should be shared and that perhaps WorthPoint’s community of collectors, people like me who are intrigued by the past, might find the diary as fascinating as I did. (To read Will Seippel’s entire introduction, click here)

[voxant 3616737]

January 25, 1943 Diary Page  (click to enlarge)

January 25, 1943 Diary Page (click to enlarge)

Transcript of diary entry   January 25, 1943

Monday,  January 25, 1943

Gowen Fieid, Boise, Idaho

Today we had the roughest rough and tumble I’ve ever seen and it lasted for one hour and thirty five minutes without a break. The men are really getting in condition so they can take it. The morning was spent in lectures and demonstrations which are a review of the things we have been going over for the last six months. It is about the only thing we can do here until we find out about our equipment. I think we will all be far happier when we get the news to go. This lying around doesn’t do anyone any good and the boys are getting restless. So am I for that matter. I went in town and at last found a good camera shop. I think I have a light meter lined up but it will be two weeks before I can get it. I hope I’m still here then.

It is much warmer today and it is still clear although it looks as though tomorrow will be cloudy. I wish it would stay cold.
Tonight I stayed in and wrote some letters. I went over to the office about eight and Enright, Sanders, Eggleston and myself had a long talk. Tomorrow I’m going to give the outfit a working over. They are getting lax in their Military.

Good Night

To view previous diary entries, click here.

The Day That Was: January 25, 1943

• The Red Army succeeded in splitting the remnants of the German VI Army into a northern and a southern pocket. German forces evacuated Armavir and Voronezh. Stalin’s order of the day said that the Red Army had routed 102 German divisions in the last two months. (
stopped at Novorossiysk and Krasnodar. (

Production Credits:
Diary transcription: Kathleen Long

Diary photos: Claudia Forbes

Video production: Alison Harder

Narration: Mountain VIsta H.S. Theater Department

Jeremy Goldson, Department Chair; Sean McGill – voice of Lt. Reichard

(Visited 8 times, 1 visits today)