Lt. Reichard’s WWII Diary – January 8, 1943

Introduction by Will Seippel, CEO –

Lt. Reichard began writing a diary on January 1, 1943. In February, he bought a camera and began taking some photos. For the next three years, he wrote almost every day. When I started reading his diary, I thought it should be shared and that perhaps WorthPoint’s community of collectors, people like me who are intrigued by the past, might find the diary as fascinating as I did.

[voxant 3600696]

January 8, 1943 Diary entry  (click to enlarge)

January 8, 1943 Diary entry (click to enlarge)

Transcript of diary entry January 8, 1943

Friday,  January 8, 1943    McClellan Field, Sacramento, CA

Well today was a busy one if there ever was such a day. We ran around like a bunch. Thank God for the fact that we were nearly ready anyway because of our last orders. The service records are all up to date except for a few minor last minute enterances and the reports concerning this transfer were worked on by Sgt. Enright until three in the morning. The morning was spent running between here and the main post doing a million odd jobs that must be cleaned up before moving an outfit from a Post. The afternoon was spent mostly down town. We took some of our overages down to the Ordnance storage house and got receipts for same. Then I took the propeller that I picked up last summer and shipped it freight. That cost me $6.50. After that I dropped Ray off at the hotel and came on out. After signing a few papers I got dressed and went in town.

I met Dorothy at the Senator and we went to Bedells for dinner. After dinner we went to a show then she drove me out to the Field. Saying good bye was a little rough but it had to be done. I hate to say good bye but it’s the best thing. It was getting a little too serious to suit me. We have had a lot of fun together and seen a lot of this country and I won’t forget. I hope I don’t have to pay too dearly for the good times I’ve had since I came into this army.

“Good Night”

To view previous diary entries, click here.

The Day That Was: January 8, 1943

• Soviet planes dropped leaflets from General Rokossovsky, commander-in-chief of the Don Front, issuing a surrender ultimatum to the German troops of VI Army surrounded in Stalingrad. The ultimatum guaranteed “their lives and safety, and after the end of the war return to Germany” and promising that “. . . medical aid will be given to all wounded, sick and frost-bitten . . .” (

• The British handed Madagascar over to the Free French. (

(Visited 6 times, 1 visits today)