Lt. Reichard’s WWII Diary – March 2, 1943

Lt. Reichard’s WWII Diary Project and Recap: On January 1, 2009, WorthPoint began a three year project following the life of a WWII soldier through the daily pages of his diary. To read about the inception of this project, or to add your own comments, click here.

January 1943 Recap: We first met Lt. Reichard in January, stationed at McClellan Air Base in Sacramento, where he was in charge of a motor pool unit. Expecting to be sent overseas, their orders were changed and they became restless to see action. Lt. Reichard’s sweetheart, Ginnie, would write frequently, and he would go to dinner and movies with local girls – Dorothy, in Sacramento, and Marie, when the unit moved to Gowen Field in Boise, Idaho. The men have spent their days in lectures, and physical demonstrations to try to keep sharp mentally and physically. But they are getting increasingly restless.

February 1943 Recap: The unit continues to be restless as they still haven’t any orders for overseas. The days are kept busy with lectures, physical demonstrations, and frequent hikes in the mountains above Boise.  Lt. Reichard receives a promotion to Lieutenant First Class and continues to write to Ginnie back home, though her letters are becoming more infrequent.  February 1943 comes to an end with the unit still feeling bored and discouraged.

[voxant 3642808]


Transcript of Diary Entry   March 2, 1943

Tuesday, March 2, 1943

Gowen Fieid, Boise, Idaho

Ye gods if I stay here much longer I’m just going to have to discontinue this Diary. There just isn’t a damn thing to write. One thing is that it is cold as hell this morning and a good size gale is trying to blow Gowen Field off the map. I don’t know when I’ve felt a colder wind. It goes right through you no matter what you put on. The barracks shake as with the “Palsy.” I never did like these days. I received a letter from Larry Fritz today. He is back in the U.S in a hospital in North Carolina. He says he wishes he were back in Hawaii. I can’t say I blame him because almost any place is preferable to a G.I. hospital. I sure would like to see that boy again. We had a lot of fun together back at Sill. The usual lectures took up most of the morning and this afternoon I went out to the gym. Next week I think we will take a three day vacation and take the outfit on a camping tour. It will do us all good to get away for a while and do something. Tonight I went in town and had a few drinks. I’m getting so restless I can’t stay out at the field. I met Lt. Buckley from Ogden A.S.A.C. and he says he will be out tomorrow.

Good Night

To view previous diary entries, click here.

The Day That Was: March 2, 1943

• In the Battle of the Bismarck Sea, U.S. Army and Australian aircraft bombed eight Japanese transports escorted by eight destroyers en route to Law, New Guinea. Aircraft and motor-torpedo-boat attacks continued until all transports and four destroyers were sunk. (

• Germany began transporting Dutch Jews to the Sobibor concentration camp. (

Production Credits:
Diary transcription: Kathleen Long

Diary photos: Claudia Forbes

Video production: Alison Harder

Narration: Mountain Vista H.S. Theater Department

Jeremy Goldson, Department Chair; Sean McGill – voice of Lt. Reichard

(Visited 30 times, 1 visits today)