19th C. British Colonial Windsor Chair from Jamaica
Pricing & History
- Source eBay
Another Early 19th Century Antique British Colonial Mahogany Windsor Chair from the Island of Jamaica. This particular style of Windsor Chair is actually called a Captain's Chair in Jamaica. It also came from the 18th Century Harmony Hall Great House in Trelawny Parish and was orginally owned for over 150 years by the Dewar family, an old British Colonial family of Scottish descent who came to Jamaica in the 1790s. They were a Cadet Branch of the famous Dewar family of Perth, Scotland, the Owners and Distillers of Dewar's Scotch Whiskey, The Dewars were prominent Merchants in Jamaica during the Early 19th Century and lived at Richmond Hill Great House in the hills overlooking Montego Bay. Having made a fortune from importing Slaves from Africa and exporting Sugar and Rum to Britain, they intermarried with the Barretts and other prominent British Colonial planter families in Jamaica. In 1850 the Hon. Robert Dewar (1813-1861), Senior Partner in the firm of Dewar & Company in Montego Bay, purchased Harmony Hall Estate, a 1,500 acre sugar plantation in Trelawny Parish, and moved to take up residence in the 18th Century Great House t His sons later purchased and owned Pantrepant Estate, Windsor Estate, Stewart Castle Estate and several other sugar plantations in Trelawny Parish, but for more than 100 years Harmony Hall Estate remained read more
Items in the Worthopedia® are obtained exclusively from licensors and partners solely for our members’ research needs.