AUSTRIAN BAROCQUE RELIQUARY, TRUE CROSS RELIC, DOC!

A spiritual treasure, worthy of the treasury of a Cathedral:

BAROCQUE ALTAR RELIQUARY

WITH A RELIC OF THE TRUE CROSS,

Document

Austria 1760

A wonderful piece from the golden age of the Habsburg Empire: An Austrian Barocque reliquary, a masterpiece of the silversmiths of this era with many fine details, silver, for the greatest part fire-gilt, the cross on top decorated with a emerald-red stone.

It consists of three levels: The fire-gilt back with the sunrays and the radiant cross on top, a silver level with fine silverwork, surrounded by five colourful rhinestones, with fine ornaments: The eye of God in a triangle on top, crowned by a baldachin, surrounded by grapes and wheat as eucharistic symbols. On front, surrounding the relic window, is a fire-gilt frame with palme leaves and a laureate crown.

The reliquary was donated to a convent in Tuscany when an Austrian countess became its Abbess in ca. 1830.

Height: ca. 14 inches.

In the center, in an oval-shaped silver theca, sealed with the red wax seal of a Bishop with the threads intact, surrounded by filigree paperoles and silber thread decorations, is the most precious relic:

Two splinters of the True Cross of Our Lord Jesus Christ

The relic comes with a document, re-issued during
... read more