BROOKLYN NYC WILLIAMSBURG HANOVER CLUB BEDFORD AVE & RODNEY ST c1910 HAGEMEISTER

Black and while lithograph postcard (brownish tint) of the Hanover Club, Bedford Avenue and Rodney Street, Williamsburg, Brooklyn, New York City, circa 1910, by The H. Hagemeister Co. The club was orgnized on March 7, 1890. P. J. Lauritzen, architect, was engaged to remodel and enlarge the "Hawley house," a brick mansion that had been the residence of Oscar Hawley, a box manufacturer, and had cost $70,000 to build. The club house formally opened on Jan 19, 1891 with over 400 members. During the club's halcyon years around the turn of the 20th century, various games were especially popular, including billiards and bowling. The club's bowling alley was generously made available to the ladies during the afternoon hours, and the ladies were also allowed their own cafe, in which no man was allowed unless accompanied by a lady. In very fine condition -- strong corners. Please see scans.