An Over-Sized Albumen Cabinet Card Of Fire Station Hose House Number 8
Offering a cabinet card photograph of Hose House Number 8 Fire Station at the corner of Bellevue and College Street in Toronto, Ontario where it still stands today. The hall was built in 1878 as part of the transformation of the Toronto Fire Department that saw it move from a volunteer to a professional organization. The station was home to horse drawn hose car. The clock tower, that quickly became a symbol of the neighbourhood, was added in 1899. From the top of the tower a lookout would watch for fires. It was also useful for hanging hoses to dry. In 1911 it received the city's first motorized fire engine. n the 1960s most of the old fire houses were demolished, but community pressure saved No. 8. However in 1972 the building was gutted by fire. Again the community assured its survival and the building was rebuilt almost exactly as it had been before. The addition that stored the aerial ladder was replaced with the modern 3 bay addition that now houses the station's trucks. The original fire hall building is now used as a gym for Toronto Fire station 315. There is a scrap of paper adhered to the back that dates the photo to 1908. Cabinet card measures 9 by 7 inches and photograph measures 6 1/2 by 5 inches.
We specialize in fine and vintage photography.
... read more