Harbour Lights #HL339 Piney Point, MD NIB FREE SHIPPING

Harbour Lights

Piney Point Maryland
Harbour Lights #339


In March 1835, the United States Congress approved an appropriation of $5,000 for the construction of a lighthouse about 14 miles up the Potomac River from Point Lookout Lighthouse. In 1836, John Donahoo was selected to build the lighthouse. Donahoo had earned a reputation as a master lighthouse builder for his work on Concord Point and Cove Point among others. The cost breakdown: $3,488 for construction, $400 for the lantern and the remainder for the purchase of land and lighting apparatus. Piney Point was nicknamed The Lighthouse of Presidents; several U. S. Presidents, including James Monroe, Franklin Pierce and Theodore Roosevelt, often used the colonial-style light as their summer residence to escape the heat of the Capital. Some of the sandstone used to build the 35-foot tall (base to coping) light was from the same Virginia quarry that supplied stone for the U.S. Capitol and the White House. Piney Point’s history from 1836 until its decommissioning in 1964 is distinguished. The lighthouse served river navigators through the Civil War, the steamboat era and both World Wars. During World War II, the Navy used the Piney Point area to test torpedoes. At the end of the war, the U.S. received a surrendered German submarine (U-1105), which was covered
... read more