Up for bid is this antique nickel plated oil lamp filler. This item measures approx. 6” high and 7” wide. These fillers were used in the late 1800’s for topping off oil and kerosene lamps. These fillers were also called Alcohol Flagons which were used for filling the alcohol fuel used underneath chafing dishes. The large knob at the top unscrews to fill the bowl. The small plunger toward the front of the handle moves freely and when depressed allows air in while pouring. The bottom is marked Trade Mark with a large S over a small S & Co within a circle. This is the trade mark for S. Sternau & Company.This antique oil lamp filler has great style, reminiscent of a little “Genie Lamp”. It is in nice but used condition. There is some age discoloration. The nickel plating shows some wear and has some areas of brass and speckles of copper showing through. Two very small dents can be seen on one side of the bowl and the other side (picture 2) has a larger dent on the bowl. The large knob at the top fits snug and easily unscrews; and the entire unit is well balanced and sits level on a flat surface. From American Silver Marks website, S. Sternau & Co is listed in the 1915 edition of the Jewelry and Kindred Trades as being a manufacturer of silver plated goods with locations at 305 Broadway in New York City and at John & Gold Streets in Brooklyn. In 1897, S. Sternau & Co. published a promotional catalogue called “The Chafing Dish” with Illustrations of several chafing dishes and accessories. Picture 4 above was taken from that catalogue which shows sketch of an Alcohol Flagon nearly identical to the auction item. This antique Sternau oil filler will make a terrific addition to a vintage oil lamp collection. Many thanks for looking and Best of Luck bidding!